Saturday, February 19, 2011

February 5 - Coba Ruins

We decided last-minute that we wanted to go on a tour, and found one we thought we would really enjoy.  About an hour after we booked it for the next day, I got very sick and was worried I wasn't going to be able to go.  No food would stay in me, and I had a very bad chill spell and then fever.  My whole body hurt so much, and all I could do was lay in bed with lots of clothes on and the a/c off.  I seriously thought I was going to have to go to the Mexican doctor.  The next day I woke up and still couldn't keep food in me, but we needed to decide if we were going because we had to be in the lobby at 7:10.  There was no way I was going to waste all of the money we had already paid, so I had Brandon buy me some Imodium from the gift shop.  I was nervous about riding in a van for 2 hours, but made it just fine with no food and taking the Imodium.  I took a few throughout the day and didn't eat a whole lot and didn't have any incidents.  I felt a little weak and yucky, but it wasn't enough to hinder me from enjoying the day and having a lot of fun with Brandon.
Anyway, now that is out of the way, I can go on about what we actually did.
After picking up a few other couples from other hotels, we were on our way to a small Mexican town inland about 40 km from Cancun.  We drove through a lot of little towns that had dogs, chickens and turkeys roaming everywhere.  People and kids, too.  When we arrived to the site where we would be zip-lining, rapelling and eating lunch, I didn't really know what to think.  Was this really where we were suppose to be?  Well, it was and our guide Lilliana showed us around.  We got all of our gear on and zip-lined twice and then rapelled into the space we flew over.  I was really scared at first, but I had a lot of fun. 
After zip-lining and rapelling, we drove a short distance to where we would be swimming in a cenote.  First we had to kayak and hike to the cave, though.  I saw two monkeys in a tree along the way.  Swimming in the cenote was probably the highlight of our trip.  The water was so clear and cold and deep. 
Next up was lunch.  It was a traditional Mexican lunch and was quite good, even though I didn't eat much.  Everyone in our group seemed to like it, too.   When we were all finished eating, Lilliana took us over to the "bakery."  Basically, a one-room non-descript building that was hotter than hell.  A lady had a bunch of baked goods on a rack for us to buy if we wished.  We got two giant triangle things that had a buttery flaky filling for $1.  They were delicious.  Besides baked goods, the baker also had an old Britney Spears poster.  Lilliana took us around town a little to look at some different tree species, and then we loaded up to head over to the Coba ruins.
Walking around the ruins was very cool and interesting.  Lilliana gave us a tour, then we had some time on our own to explore and climb Nohoch Mul, the tallest temple at the site.  We rented bikes to get to Nohoch Mul since it was a long walk there.  It was a long climb to the top, but it was well worth it to see the view from the top.  The people at the bottom were tiny, and it made me a little nauseous to look down.  Apparently, Nohoch Mul is the only ruins that can be climbed since Chichen Itza can't be anymore. 
It was a long day.  We got back to the hotel around 6:00.  Lilliana was a very sweet guide and even gave us each hugs when she dropped us off.  She took good care of us. 
Now for the pictures.  I took a lot, so I'm going to try to weed out the most interesting ones.
nice getup

climbing to the start point of the zipline


first to rappel

at the bottom

kayaking to the cenote

quite the hike after kayaking

before jumping in

He was so happy.

sweating it out in the bakery

house across from the bakery, that poor dog had an embedded chain collar

strolling through town



Lilliana explaining the game they played here.

It took me a while to figure out what this was.

Nohoch Mul

at the top looking at the tree tops

This guy was also enjoying the view.




cerveza to cool off

No comments: