Sunday, January 8, 2012

Skinnytaste Fiesta Lime Rice & Carnitas

I made Skinnytaste's Fiesta Lime Rice and Carnitas for supper tonight.  We put the rice and carnitas on small tortillas, along with some diced avacado and salsa.  It was AWESOME!  Plus, I think we will be eating it all week.  I highly recommend these recipes.

Fiesta Lime Rice

  • 1 1/2 cups cooked long grain rice (I used brown Minute Rice.)
  • 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and heated
  • 3/4 cup cooked corn (I used Trader Joe's Fire Roasted frozen Corn), heated
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • 1 large scallion, diced fine (I used red onion.) 
  • 2-4 tbsp chopped cilantro (to your liking)
  • 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice (I squeezed a whole lime.)
  • In a large bowl, combine hot rice, heated corn, heated beans, tomato, scallion, cilantro, lime juice and salt if needed. Toss and serve.

    Mexican Slow Cooked Pork Carnitas

  • 2.5 lb pork shoulder blade roast, lean, all fat removed
  • 6 cloves garlic, cut into sliver
  • cumin
  • dry adobo seasoning (I couldn't find dry, so I used a jar.)
  • garlic powder
  • 3/4 cup 99% fat free chicken broth
  • 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (to taste)
  • 2 bay leaves

  • Season pork with salt and pepper. In a medium sauté pan on medium-high heat, brown pork on all sides for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
    Using a sharp knife, insert blade into pork, cutting small holes and insert garlic slivers. Season pork generously with cumin, adobo and garlic powder all over.
    Pour chicken broth in the crockpot, add bay leaves and chipotle peppers. Place pork in crock pot and cover. Cook low for 8 hours. After 8 hours, shred pork using two forks and combine well with the juices that accumalated at the bottom. Remove bay leaves and adjust salt and cumin (you will probably need to add more). Let it cook another 15-30 minutes.

    No comments: