I remember very little about the rest of Thursday thanks to
the fentanyl, oxycodone, and bupivacaine.
Friday sucked, I do remember that.
The pain was A LOT worse than I had imagined. Emily was a saint and waited on me hand and
foot. Saturday also sucked since I had
to remove the nerve block catheter myself.
Using a little instruction booklet, I ripped the tape from my pubic hair
and gave the catheter a little tug. The
little tug turned into a good hard pull and the 6 inches of catheter was
finally removed. All I really remember
about the next few days was the extreme pain and discomfort I was in. On Tuesday Emily took me back to Sports Medicine
to get my dressings changed. I was able
to see my scars for the first time and they actually didn’t look as bad as I
expected. Today is Saturday, and I
finally feel like I’m making a little progress.
I have a lot less pain and am starting to put about 5% of my weight on
my leg with crutches. I’m scheduled to
go back to work on Thursday, so we’ll see how that goes. Overall I’m a little disappointed in how slow
the recovery process has been, and I’m not sure if I would willingly go through
this process again. I see the surgeon
again on Valentines Day, so hopefully I have a more positive update after
that. I guess I got the best Valentines
Day present I could have hoped for from Emily, her unconditional love and
support.
Saturday, February 4, 2012
Brandon’s Knee Surgery and Recovery Part 1
Well the day of my ACL repair surgery (January 26th,
2012) finally came and passed. After
waiting for over 8 weeks, I was definitely ready. I got lucky with an early check-in at 6:45 a.m. and had my IV inserted without any problems. The problems started for
both Emily and I when the anesthesiologist started discussing/prepping for the
insertion of my nerve block catheter.
This I WAS NOT prepared for. Both
Emily and I became queasy, and the nurse had to pull an extra bed into the room
for Emily to lie down on. After I was
able to man-up, and with the help of some drugs and local anesthetic, the
catheter was inserted into my right groin.
The nerve block catheter amounted to a line in my leg attached to a ball
of bupivacaine that I had to carry around for 2 days. After this I was wheeled into surgery and
remember nothing else until I awoke in the recovery room over 3 hours
later. Apparently all went well, and my
ACL was repaired using a portion of my hamstring tendon. There was also some minor damage to my
meniscus that was fixed. Upon awakening
I was informed that Emily became queasy again and vomited in a wheelchair in
the hallway. She was told that she
couldn’t drive me home so we frantically tried to get one of our good friends
to drive us both home on short notice.
Eventually Emily was able to regain her senses and drive me home around
3:30.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment