Thursday, December 26, 2013

Mount Gay Rum Tour and Stand Up Paddleboarding

Our first adventure off the resort was to tour Mount Gay Rum and go stand up paddleboarding in Carslisle Bay. During the tour, we tasted four rums. I enjoyed smelling them, but I didn't enjoy the burning and choking that went with actually tasting the rum. Everyone else was much braver than me, though. The tour was $10 per person and well worth it to learn about the rum industry in Barbados and how rum is made and bottled.

The rum sits in barrels that is used for making bourbon in Kentucky.


Pinky Tinky shots at the end of the tour. They were delicious.
After the tour, we needed to find a place to eat before we learned how to stand up paddleboard. We found a little Jamaican place where the locals were eating and the food was decently priced. The food was awesome and there were no complaints from us. We were nervous but it turned out to be a good choice for lunch.


We used Paddle Barbados for our board rental and lessons. Brandon got us a really good deal by emailing the owner a few times with questions. It probably also helped that we chose a day when there were no cruise ships at port. Jason, the owner, gave us one-on-one attention the whole time and even took us over to where the turtles hang out. I got a special ride on his board because after one attempt I gave up. I stood up for like a minute and then fell off and got water up my nose and I had enough. I used our snorkeling goggles and looked at the fish that were near shore thankfully. I still had a good time swimming and looking at the fish. I also had a good time enjoying my ride to the turtles. :) Jason dove down and got us a starfish, but we only saw a couple of small turtles.


This day was our first time riding the Eleven, which is the bus number that runs frequently and it is actually a van. One halted in front of us, we piled in and held on tight. We got back safely to the resort with no problems and decided to take the Eleven from now on.
Doug wanted to act like a local and hang his head out the window.

No comments: