Friday, August 19, 2011

Knee Update

It's been a crazy ride with this knee injury, but I finally have a care plan in place and know what is going on.

I saw someone in primary care on Monday.  The doctor and nurse straightened my leg out, put an immobilizer on and ordered an MRI.  I went from not too much pain to constant pain.  I was not a happy camper.

My MRI was on Tuesday.  I think that may have been the worst day of my life.  I'm not even exaggerating.  Keeping my knee still for I have no clue how many minutes was excruciating.  I was crying and feeling faint and so close to pushing the panic button. 

The doctor I saw on Monday said she would call me with the results of the MRI.  I was expecting her to call me late on Tuesday or Wednesday morning.  Well, I didn't hear anything by 9:30 and was completely uncomfortable and ready to punch someone.  I called and spoke with a nurse.  Someone was going to call me.  Well many hours later and a few phone calls, a nurse called to explain my results and refer me to Orthopedics.

I was seen in Orthopedics by a physician's assistant on Thursday afternoon.  He went through my MRI results and said he would see if a surgeon could see me before we left.  Thankfully someone could.  The surgeon wanted to do surgery the next day but a surgical suite wasn't available, so I am scheduled for surgery on Tuesday.

I have a bucket tear in my meniscus.  The surgeon can arthroscopically fix it, and I should only miss about a week of work.  Wearing the immobilizer was actually damaging my meniscus, so I don't wear that anymore.  I just need to keep using crutches and ice and try to keep it elevated as much as possible.

Brandon has been the most amazing husband.  He has been making all the meals, including my lunch and most breakfasts.  He's brought me countless glasses of water.  He carries my purse and lunch bag to work every morning.  He's been wheeling me to my appointments.  He comes and picks me up from work at the end of the day and wheels me to the bus stop.  He's really doing all he can to help me.

I have the most caring coworkers.  Because of them, I've been able to do my work without missing a beat this week.  Someone is always asking if they can fill up my water bottle, bring me something from the breakroom, get me a coffee, trade my ice pack, give me a hug, hold the door, and the list goes on.  I am so appreciative.

This is my first ever injury and surgery, so it's been hard to deal with.  Not knowing what was going on and what was in the future for me drove me nuts.  The end is now in sight, and I'm better able to cope. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If I can give you any encouragement at all, I've had two meniscus tears (one in each knee) and I've had both operated on. After my surgery, I was able to put weight on it on the same day and was walking without crutches after 24 hours. My only pain were from the incisions and that maybe lasted a few hours.

Emily said...

That's actually VERY encouraging. I would love to have a fast recovery. These crutches are killing me, and I hate all of the stares I get.

The Voth's said...

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry you have been going through all this, Emily. Will be sending lots of prayers and thoughts your way!